Sunday, October 23, 2016

Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie

Rum-Billie was released for pre-order towards the end of September by California-based indie polish maker Superchic Lacquer as part of the Urban Dictionary collection, a series of eight superholo polishes specially formulated for fierce color depth with intense linear holographic effects and one-coat coverage. Names for these superholos come from that fabulous pop culture lexicon known as the Urban Dictionary, which defines Rum-Billie as "a Mr. Hyde like creature that comes out to play after the excessive consumption of rum." Sounds like my ex-husband. Just kidding, Al! 

Creator Jennifer describes Rum-Billie as a "spiced rum." The color is an intense tawny shade, a rich melange of ochre, burnt orange, copper and caramel that strikes me as the epitome of autumnal chic. Powerful holographic effects give it a shimmering luminosity on the nail, with an analogously-hued flare of copper, misty bronze and russet in ambient light. In the sun, there's a brilliant, fully-linear prismatic display predominated by bright, sparkling arcs of spring green and orange that frame a glistening, semi-metallic burnt orange underlay and shade to deep chestnut at the edges of the nail.

Application was marvelous. The consistency of Rum-Billie is fluid, creamy and dense with a medium viscosity and a lush, buttery, self-leveling glide over the nail. Nice! Pigmentation is excellent. This is a true one-coat holo. I used two in an attempt to finesse some lines, but it's actually unnecessary in terms of color depth and holographic effects. Cleanup is straightforward with a skosh of pigment travel and trace staining as you might expect from a polish as profoundly pigmented as this. Rum-Billie dries naturally in very good time to a smooth, slightly flat finish. As with holos from Superchic's Dreamology collection of last fall, topcoat does alter the appearance of the holographic effects of this polish, giving them a smoother, more liquid and more cohesively luminous look. 

Photos show two coats of Rum-Billie over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of Seche Vite.


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie


Superchic Lacquer Rum-Billie

This is a beautiful auburn polish, full of holographic goodness. It's a great after dark lacquer as well, with a brilliant coppery flash under incandescent light. So perfect for the season. If you love copper, you must have this one, no doubt about it. It will make you very happy!

love,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. An incredibly lovely polish! I have been yearning for the polishes from this collection for awhile now and, so far, have held off getting them. However... this review / photos might have pushed me over the edge to the point where I have to have them! My nails are all wacked out, getting more and more ridge-y and thin and splitting up into the actual nailbed and I haven't been polishing as much as I usually do. I have super duper nubs right now, which I hate. I would like to convince myself that I would maintain salon nails, gel or otherwise, on a timely basis - but I know myself enough to know I would quickly get fed up with going every three or so weeks to a salon for nail maintenance. I SO wish I was one of those women! - one of those women who see going to get gel nails refilled or redone as just part of the package. But I know I'm not. I've tried all sorts of treatments, pills, etc. - what a big waste of a lot of money. So I accept my nails now are never going to be as good as they used to be. I was putting patches on the tips to keep the splitting down but I'm tired of doing those also. And they don't last that long, a week or so.

    Anyway.... lol - I am not enjoying the nail polish thing much at the moment. And seeing such beautiful nails and knowing the only way I will ever have long nails again to paint will be by contrivance is disheartening! I hate painting nubs. I can never paint the full nail to the end without getting some on the bare skin at that edge, very annoying!

    Well, this little camper had better suck it up and deal! Look at painting nubs as another challenge and experience. I probably wouldn't mind so much if I had those long nailbeds I occasionally see! But then I tell myself I am grateful for having the medium nailbeds I do have.

    So now I am on the fence, for the moment anyway. I still love polish and still love to read about them and see them reviewed. But. I am aggravated about even polishing my nails. So I wonder if I should just stop - stop putting myself through this torture of seeing so much 'pretty'!

    Oh, what the heck - NO! I think I'll go paint my nails. And I really, really, really LOVE that polish, Liz! It is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your love and native enjoyment of nail color, you deserve perfect nails, Lara! I hate that they give you trouble and dishearten you!

      The nails on my right hand tear on a regular basis, the middle and ring fingers especially, usually deep in the shoulders right at or below the quick, and I know what you mean about painting nubs. My right middle finger nail currently has no free edge at all and I get polish all over that fingertip when I paint.

      If I had to rely on salon nails, there wouldn't be a Lacker Slacker Liz. I feel so lucky that you're still engaged enough to read my posts and comment!

      I loved the Urban Dictionary collection from the get-go too, and bought five of them -- four at first and then I went back for one more (Wonderwall). I have them lined up here on my desk, such great, vivid colors! Jennifer did a fabulous job with these. I've been trying to purchase less as I have enough untrieds to sink a small ship, but when I saw these polishes I knew I had to plan a splurge. Funny how easy it was to do that!

      Delete