Thursday, October 6, 2016

Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise

My Area of Expertise was released last month by French boutique polish maker Il Était Un Vernis as part of the Back to School collection. Officially described as a dark teal holo with pink microflake shimmers, the color is an inky blue-green that shades slightly to the green end of the spectrum, sort of a ming green, or you could call it a midnight teal green. Finely-milled holographic pigment nuances the base with deep hues of indigo and ultramarine, and generates a subtle prismatic bloom in ambient light. The rosy pink microflake shimmers are a luxe touch, visible when the light hits them just right and adding to the richness of the look, and the holographic effects give it the finely-grained, velvety visual texture that is the brand's signature finish. 

Application was lovely. The consistency of My Area of Expertise is fluid, creamy and dense with a medium viscosity and plush, silky, self-leveling glide over the nail that has a bit of pull to it. Pigmentation is excellent, delivering opaque coverage in a single medium coat but you'll want two to maximized the holographic effects. There's a bit of pigment travel during cleanup, but happily only a skosh of trace staining. My Area of Expertise dries naturally in very good time to a smooth, shiny finish. Topcoat enhances the presence of the microflake shimmers and does not inhibit the holographic properties in any way that I could tell.

Photos show two coats of My Area of Expertise over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of Seche Vite.


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise


Il Était Un Vernis My Area of Expertise

This is a vampy teal, for sure, and with the deep blue/purple shading and shimmering pink microflakes, a luxurious one as well. On the nail, a sleek glossy shine encases the dimensional bloom beautifully, creating a dramatic and elegant look that is not only perfect for pairing with deep, rich jewel-tones but will add a resonant splash of color and glamor to earthier shades as well. 

love,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. I am becoming very fond of jewel-toned teal polishes, especially with the dimension this one has. I do like them when they lean more toward blue than green, though. Usually - that's always under the heading "Can change from one heartbeat to the next."! That Ming Green is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the blue teals best myself, they have that cerulean look that is always so lush and dramatic. This one is quite gorgeous, though, and so well-made. I love Il Etait Un Vernis, they do a great teal!

      Delete