Monday, May 18, 2015

Pahlish Mayfly

Mayfly was released by Jonesboro, AR-based indie polish maker Pahlish as a limited edition bespoke batch polish in early May 2015. This is a medium-light saturated rosy hot pink bearing a modicum of what I believe are fine pale blue particulate shimmers, just enough to add a lovely dusting of subtle sparkle and attendant visual interest to the creme formula. It's a potent shade with a fiercely floral feminine vibe, a little brighter than what I think of as a Barbie pink, kind of like an electric French pink. I wasn't sure I was up to such a vigorous pink today, but once I got it on my nails the energy was infectious. John came in while I was applying it and wanted to know who let that in-your-face color out of the nuclear waste site... ha! Thou art but a babe in the woods, flippant child! But I'm pretty sure it was a compliment.

Application was fun! The consistency of Mayfly is fluid, creamy and slightly fluffy. It goes on smoothly as long as you don't overstroke your application. I used medium coats with a generous bead of polish on the brush tip, floating it over the nail and allowing a bit of dry time between coats. Pigmentation is very good with wearably opaque coverage in two coats, although I used three for the purposes of this post. Self-leveling properties are also very good, with any lingering unevenness disappearing under topcoat. Cleanup was easy and straightforward with only a tiny bit of pigment travel and the faintest residual traces. Mayfly dries naturally in very good time to a slick but slightly flat-looking finish that loves a glossy topcoat to be at it's best. 

Photos show three coats of Mayfly over Seche Rebuild treatment and Pretty Serious All Your Base basecoat with a topcoat of Seche Vite.


Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly
Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly


Pahlish Mayfly

Would you classify Mayfly as a neon? I think it sits right at the edge of neon territory, with just enough rosiness and depth to it to keep it out although in some circumstances it takes on a glow that just kisses fluorescence. The shimmery bits hold up surprisingly well in the midst of such a strong color, giving it a delicate sparkly shimmer that is just gorgeous and suits it well. This is a beautifully composed polish. I like it so much more than I expected!

love,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment