Monday, September 29, 2014

Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves

I often feel at a distinct disadvantage when purchasing and reviewing creations from Elevation Polish because I don't speak any French at all beyond "hors d'oeuvre" and so many of Lulu's polishes have French names. I hate not knowing how to pronounce the name of a polish or a perfume! Luckily there are websites like Acapela Group where I can enter French text and hear it pronounced. Then I can render it phonetically in my own incorrect and idiosyncratic way for those of you who, like me, aren't versed in French pronunciation.

Aiguilles d'Arves (pronounced ā-GWEE deh-ARV-eh, or thereabouts) was released by indie polish maker Elevation Polish as part of the Fan collection for December 2013. Lulu describes this one as a "red based brown with near linear holographic pigment." I've seen many photos where Aiguilles d'Arves (funny how knowing how to pronounce it somehow makes it easier to type as well) takes that red and leans on it, reading as burgundy or even purple. But on me, to my eye, it reads as a rich brown with delicate hints of gold and claret. This polish contains finely milled SpectraFlair, a trademarked holographic pigment of distinctively high quality, and produces a beautifully defined prismatic display even on overcast days like today. SpectraFlair and other holo pigments, which read as silver on their own due to their aluminum base, will sometimes exert undue influence over color pigments and cause them to silver or grey out. But not here. The brown is saturated and earthy, albeit with an especially responsive and athletic prismatic display. 

Application was buttery awesome. The consistency of Aiguilles d'Arves is fluid, creamy and dense with a velvety, easy-to-control glide over the nail and excellent self-leveling properties. Pigmentation is also excellent. I believe that with a well-loaded brush and the proper mojo, this could be a one coater on short nails. I used two for this manicure. Cleanup is easy and straightforward with no trace of staining. Aiguilles d'Arves dries naturally in good time to a beautiful glossy finish.

Photos show two coats of Aiguilles d'Arves over treatment and basecoat with a slightly bubbly topcoat of Seche Vite.


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves


Elevation Polish Aiguilles d'Arves

The SpectraFlair is so active in indirect light that I can only imagine that the linear flare would be absolutely marvelous in the sun. I love how delicately balanced this brown is, a lovely creamy and understated color with just the right amount of warmth to it to be soft and flattering. You can see it waving at plum and burgundy, but the golden sheen beneath the color keeps it chocolaty. But after seeing so many photos where it did more than wave, I'm betting there's a hidden chameleon in this polish that allows it to pull closer depending upon the circumstances. I like where it's at on me this cool and cloudy day, though. It has a silky, cozy elegance than I'm enjoying very much.

If you're after a brown, which seems to be trending more strongly this fall than it has in a long while, this is a pretty one!

love,
Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment