Sunday, May 18, 2014

Nire's Desire Revel

Today's holographic offering from indie polish maker Nire's Desire is Revel. I first saw this polish swatched by the effervescent Debbie of The Crumpet, and I'm certain that I wasn't the only one smitten with it. In fact, I'm willing to bet there was a run on Revel after the awesome photos Debbie posted. As you know, it was Transatlantic that finally blew my self-control to smithereens, but I wasn't going to leave that etsy store without including a bottle of Revel in my purchase. 

Revel is a deep purple holo with Nire's Desire's signature rich dimensional color, fantastic user-friendly formula and blazing prismatic display. This is a dark royal purple with violet leanings to it and plenty of blue nuancing thanks to the interplay between base color and holo pigments. As you would guess, it's stunning.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, application was wonderful. Or, it surely would have been had I not succumbed to the fetching wiles of our eight month old kitteh, Picchio, right before I began to paint. Never do this! It's so funny, as I was giving him a little chin scritch I was thinking, I wonder if I'm getting hairs on my fingers. Well, yeah! No matter how enchanting the beast, if you pet it you will pick up hairs and I guarantee that they will make their presence known during your manicure.   


da kitteh, not entirely pleased with the interruption to his naptime (you can tell when he's getting riled because his eyes begin to turn a demonic orange)

So there I was, applying this beautiful fluid, creamy, dense polish when I began to notice fluffy downy little hairy filaments clinging to my nail environs and dipping themselves surreptitiously (or not) into the freshly painted lacquer on my nails. Suffice to say I was forced to spend a good bit of time extracting and repairing. But the good news is that in the process I learned just how forgiving Revel is. A reparative dab of polish to any blemished spot quickly subsides and melts into the polish around it. Need to fill out a line where you left too much of a gap? You can do that too without any obvious overlap. Huzzah! 

Pigmentation is fantastic. For all practical purposes Revel is a one coater although I did two. I had a variety of cleanup to do after the hair extractions and can report that despite the bits of purple here and there in the pics that got overlooked, the process is trouble-free and non-staining. Revel dries naturally in good time to a smooth shiny finish.

Photos show two coats of Revel over treatment and basecoat with a slightly bubbly topcoat of Seche Vite. I was a little flustered from picking cat hairs out of my mani and overworked the topcoat. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Yup. Taking topcoating for granted, that's a thing, right? Am I the only one who needs to stop doing that? Really?

Also, please forgive my somewhat tattered nail environs. It's been too long since my last rendezvous with cuticle remover.

Nire's Desire Revel

Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel

And here are a few sun shots for the rainbow lover in all of us....


Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel


Nire's Desire Revel

Revel has the sort of "glory in the flower" capacity to make purple new again in circumstances when you may have become jaded. Even if you haven't, it will remind you of why and just how much you love purple on your nails. As Erin says in her description of this polish, it's rich shimmering royalty in a bottle, deep enough to hint at vampiness but not so deep as to ever be mistaken for black. Bold enough to sate your thirst for novel colors but not in the least be overdone. A feast for the eyes with a healthy portion of awesome to warm the cockles of your polish enthusiast's heart. That's Revel.

love,
Liz

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear. Another polish to put into my lemming book... What a unique holo color! This is definitely a stand out shade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful violet-leaning purple, isn't it? Erin's holos remind me of the scattered holos from a england, they have a similar dimensional look in indirect light with that analagous color influence coming from the holo pigments. Then you get the full rainbow (rain-BOW) in the sun. So delicious to look at, in any light!

      Delete
  2. This is so gorgeous! I've been enjoying your swatches from this brand. I haven't heard much about them before but they have really pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me happy to hear you've enjoyed these Nire's Desire posts, Melissa -- thank you! I recommend this little brand wholeheartedly!

      Delete