Monday, May 19, 2014

Nire's Desire Megashira

Megashira is an as-of-yet unreleased polish by indie polish maker Nire's Desire. Erin, who picked this one out for me to try, tells me this is one of husband Toby's creations. Since he is also responsible for the murky blue masterpiece that is Transatlantic, it should come as no surprise that Megashira is also a deeply cool polish.

Megashira is a medium-dark bold blue-violet shimmer polish with a duochromatic twist. It has a dark-purple tinted transparent jelly base chock full of blue shimmer and pink microflakes, which work together synergistically to produce an unexpected and intense royal purple color shift. Depending on the lighting, this puppy can appear bright blue with violet leanings or a brilliant royal purple. Possibly there are duochromatic pigments in here, but I really think this shift is primarily accomplished by genius component mechanics. It doesn't have a true duochrome's sliding change, where you tip your nails to see it. With Megashira, the purple just begins to grow around the edges as the light changes and then bam, there it is. Plus, in full sun it scintillates with sparks of blue and pink. 

Application was a change from the holos of the last four days. The consistency of Megashira is fluid and thin, with a propensity to flood if you touch brush to cuticle, which I of course did a couple of times. No worries, as this polish cleans up easily, but but a thin, carefully applied first coat will serve you well. That first coat is very sheer going on, and I was expecting this to be a three coater -- I was wrong! With the second coat I got completely opaque even coverage with no visible brushstrokes, no streakiness or patching, no bubbling or any other bad polish behavior. It even handled my nail ridges well. Megashira dries naturally in average time to a smooth shiny finish.

Photos show two coats of Megashira over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of HK Girl. I don't know why my fingers are so freakin' florid in some of the photos, but the polish color is true so I let them be.


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira


Nire's Desire Megashira

Normally I like my shimmers on the chunky, glass fleck side but I'm really digging this polish and I'll tell you why. The blue in it reminds me very much of the paint on my beloved '98 Volkswagen Golf, Troubador (doesn't everybody name their cars?), RIP. It's a little different in that Troubador's color had a shimmery cerulean undercurrent to it rather than the purple of Megashira, but the bold blue sparkle is so like Troubadour's that I'm totally transported back to my auto detailing days looking at it. Dark shimmery blues are very rewarding to work on for a detailer, not quite as much as reds in my opinion but the results can be incredible and really make all of your hard work worth it.  

This polish also totally reminds me of Phyrra, of the eponymous blog Phyrra Beauty for the Bold. If you read her blog, you know what I'm talking about. I think she would adore this.

For me, I love how manifestly bold and full of itself this polish is! It's an eyecatcher and not the least bit sorry about it, and it has a powerful, energetic feel on the nail, like someone with coattails you'd like to hang on to. I love its depth and personality. It's actually unique in my well-populated stable of purples.

Keeper!

love,
Liz




No comments:

Post a Comment