Saturday, February 1, 2014

Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky

This polish has given me such an earworm! I found it yesterday in a sale bin at Sally's while I was there to pick up acetone and polish remover and ever since I read the name of it I've been singing Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" to myself, only with a slight change in the lyrics...

Goin' up to the sparkle in the sky
That's where I'm gonna go when I die
When I die and they lay me to rest
Gonna go to the place that's the best

Go ahead and scratch that itch, you know you want to!



Finger Paint's Sparkle in the Sky was released not so very long ago as part of the Enchanted Winter collection for holiday 2013, the first textured polish collection we have seen from Finger Paints. Sparkle in the Sky (that's where I'm gonna go when I die...) is a deep dusty navy blue jelly containing a bounty of texture particles and small sparkling shardy glitters/shimmers in purple and green. Mardi Gras colors!

Application was a snap! For some reason, I was expecting fussiness or some such nail polish application skulduggery and got only happy compliance with my needs. The consistency is very fluid and light but refrains from being runny or any other subversive behavior. Spirit in the Sky goes on the nail in thin even coats with complete coverage in only one coat. Two coats deepens and improves the base color, hides thin places should there be any and takes care of any spots you might have missed with the first coat. 

Spirit in the Sky further surprised me by drying naturally in VERY good time for a textured polish to a gritty matte finish similar to OPI's liquid sands. I waited around 20 minutes after the first coat before applying the second to avoid any difficulties with lumpiness or pulling a la Zoya PixieDusts, but when I swatched it on a palette I did two coats one right after the other without a hitch.

Photos show two coats of Spirit in the Sky over treatment and basecoat with no topcoat.


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky, macro shot in the bottle


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky


Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky

If you're familiar with textured polishes then you know that still photos don't always do them justice. Such is the case here. Sparkle in the Sky is much, much prettier in person than the photos show. Not only is it livelier and more sparkly, the sparkle colors are much more apparent. Compared to wearing it, it looks almost dead in the pics. I wish I could show you here just how special it is, but you'll have to take my word for it.

Now, does this polish bring OPI's Alcatraz Rocks to mind? Why yes, yes it does. In fact they are extraordinarily similar. So you can see for yourself, I swatched up a comparison palette.

Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky and OPI Alcatraz Rocks, bottle shot

Finger Paints Sparkle in the Sky, left, and OPI Alcatraz Rocks, right, two coats each

As you're probably able to tell from the photo, they aren't exactly the same. The navy blue of Sparkle in the Sky looks to me to have a drop of green in it that is not present in Alcatraz Rocks and is dustier/less vivid as well. The sparkle colors are alike in both, but I give the nod to Sparkle in the Sky for showing them off better. For me, Sparkle in the Sky also applied better and dried faster. Do I need them both? Oh I think you know the answer to that question!

love,
Liz

2 comments:

  1. Sparkle In The Sky is gorgeous! I have Alcatraz Rocks but I can see why you'd want both. There's subtle differences between them. Personally I don't know if I absolutely need Sparkle In The Sky but I'd probably pick it up if it were to go on clearance. It's a really pretty texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! It's really fun to wear. If I'd known it was so close to Alcatraz Rocks I might not have bought it but it turns out I actually like it a little better than Alcatraz Rocks, although I'm not sure why. I think I need to reswatch Alcatraz Rocks, hmm....

      Delete