Friday, February 7, 2014

Color Club In the Limelight

In the Limelight was released by Color Club as part of its In True Fashion collection for fall 2012. It's been described by Color Club and in almost all of the reviews that I've seen of it as a periwinkle. I think I'd describe In the Limelight as a medium-toned slightly desaturated bright cobalt or ultramarine blue. The color is a blue violet with enough purple in it to make you do a double take, especially if you try to compare it to other dark blues, where it can look flat out purple.

Application was ok. This bottle of polish has been aging in my collection for some time, and the consistency was pretty good, fluid and dense with a nice easy flow over the nail. I had no problems with running, pooling or bubbling. Nor did it pull patches as it's been known to do in the reviews I've read, but the fact that I consistently seemed to have an overabundance of polish on the brush may have had something to do with that. I didn't even try to do thin coats. Pigmentation was excellent with complete opacity in one medium coat. I did two, as I had to fix a few end user flaws with the first coat, plus I kept nicking it on one thing or another and had to patch up those spots. In the Limelight is not a particularly good self-leveler and wants a nice topcoat to even everything out but it is amenable to repairs and touch ups provided you use a topcoat over them. This polish dries naturally in average time to a glossy finish.

Photos show two medium coats of In the Limelight over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of HK Girl (love the way this stuff evens out the polish underneath it, it's phenomenal at that).


Color Club In the Limelight


Color Club In the Limelight


Color Club In the Limelight


Color Club In the Limelight


Color Club In the Limelight


Color Club In the Limelight


Color Club In the Limelight


Color Club In the Limelight


Color Club In the Limelight


Color Club In the Limelight

This color really walks the line between blue and purple!

Of the Color Club polishes I have in my collection there are several without labels. I've seen this with other Color Club polishes being sold on blog sales without labels. Why does this happen to Color Club polishes in particular, does anyone know? 

Most of my label-less Color Clubs are glitters. One in particular caught my eye as I was fetching In The Limelight to swatch from its home in my overflow shelves, and I thought, why not? So I grabbed it too. It's got a mix of small lavender and turquoise hexes in a suspension base, if anyone well-versed in Color Club polishes recognizes it please let me know what the name of it is! I think it's meant to be a full coverage glitter and certainly could be built up to opacity with multiple coats but I decided to try just one coat over In The Limelight. When it dried it was REALLY gritty so I added a coat of Gelous over top.


no name Color Club glitter bomb, macro shot in the bottle


no name Color Club glitter over In The Limelight



no name Color Club glitter over In The Limelight


no name Color Club glitter over In The Limelight


no name Color Club glitter over In The Limelight


no name Color Club glitter over In The Limelight

This didn't have a very harmonious feel and I didn't like it much at first. But it started to grow on me and I decided to add a matte topcoat to see if that would help it grow on me even more. I used OPI Matte Top Coat for this.


no name Color Club glitter over In The Limelight with matte topcoat


no name Color Club glitter over In The Limelight with matte topcoat


no name Color Club glitter over In The Limelight with matte topcoat


no name Color Club glitter over In The Limelight with matte topcoat


no name Color Club glitter over In The Limelight with matte topcoat

What is it about mattifying a glitter that makes it so appealing? With this combo, I think the matte texture helps to tie together disparate elements: the metallic glitters and the creme base. It makes the look more unified and it helps make the splotchiness of the glitters (my bad!) less noticeable. But there's something about matted color that is special, it's soothing to the eye and has a certain softness and luxuriousness to it. Like sea glass.

Anyway, that's enough for today, no? Thank you so much for stopping by, I really do appreciate your company!

love,
Liz

4 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that Color Club glitter is Jingle Jangle from their Christmas collection a few years ago. I loved that collection and I really liked wearing this one. It's super pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the no name bottles are from the 8 packs often times found at Ross. I had the glitter pack and a few others and the bottles aren't as hefty as the salon bottles. Still worth it at the Ross price! Love the matte look. It totally transforms the glitter and makes it more sophisticated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophisticated -- you've hit that nail right on the head, Thithi! It does give glitter a sophisticated look.

      I've never seen the packs of Color Club or Barielle that I've read about people finding at places like Ross or TJMaxx, but then I don't go into Ross or TJMaxx because there's so much stuff in there I get overwhelmed. I'm not a very good shopper!

      Delete