Thursday, January 2, 2014

Zoya Noel

Noel was released by Zoya as part of its Gems & Jewels collection for holiday 2011. According to Zoya, Noel is a "faded denim blue with subtle hints of gold and silver in a dense foil finish." Hmm. To me, Noel is a medium-toned bright cerulean blue shimmer polish with hints of teal in certain lights and superabundant ultrafine cyanic and silvery shimmers. 

I don't see denim, which I think of as having a bit of grey in it, and although Noel isn't super saturated the color is bright and not what I'd consider faded. After seeing my photos I do think there may be a leetle tiny bit of gold in Noel, but it's not at all overt like it is in Zoya Crystal, to which Noel is often compared. The abundance of silver shimmers in Noel may give it a metallic look to some, but it's more of shimmer to my eye. Likewise, I think of a foil as having larger sized metallic components that give it a speckled appearance when viewed closely while the shimmer in Noel is super fine.

Ok, I'm done nitpicking Zoya's description now.

Application of Noel was lovely. It has that sort of creamy liquid but dense consistency that is a pleasure to work with, easily controlled, goes where you put it and stays there. Because of the shimmer load, it can show brushstrokes but they are fairly minimal and don't interfere with the appearance of the polish on the nail. Pigmentation is very good, with complete even coverage in two coats. Noel dries naturally in good time to a smooth, shiny finish.

Photos show two coats of Noel over treatment and basecoat with a topcoat of Seche Vite. My fingers continue to peel and flake -- I used to use Comet all the time to clean bathrooms and it never wreaked this kind of devastation back then, wth? In any case, my hands need and should have daily appointments with some nice salt or sugar scrub but I'm a cranky old bat and am tired of my homemade stuff. Wah, Matlock! Also, I didn't realize until I saw the photos that reflections from my pink shirt would show up in them, my apologies.


Zoya Noel -- that pink is a reflection from the shirt I'm wearing....


ditto


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel with pink shirt reflection


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel, with bonus doink!


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel


Zoya Noel

Because similarities in color to Zoya Crystal are often referenced in reviews of Noel, I painted up some samples of each on a swatch palette to show you. They are definitely in the same color family but besides the differences in construction between them, Crystal is less pigmented. Swatches show two coats of Noel and three coats of Crystal.


Zoya Noel, left, and Crystal in the bottle



Zoya Noel, left, and Crystal, right -- bottle close up


left: two coats of Zoya Noel, right: three coats of Crystal


left: two coats of Zoya Noel, right: three coats of Crystal


You can really see the similarities in color here as well as the difference in shimmer size; Crystal has larger, chunkier shimmer particles and an especially speckled look due to the golden shardy bits. They are both beautiful polishes though, don't you think? Despite the close color resemblance, to me they are more different than they are similar and speaking for myself, I need them both!

love,
Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment