Monday, July 22, 2013

Sinful Greens: Adventure Island, Beau Khaki and Leap Flog

Sinful Colors makes some of the most interesting murky green polishes. I'm always on the look out for them and in this post I'll show you three that I scored on ebay.

The first one and the one I used for a full manicure is called Adventure Island. It is a whitened lime green creme a la pea soup or as Fuzzy said, pond scum! [exclamation mark hers] It doesn't look like much in the bottle, but on the nail it is actually a rather soothing and pretty creamy pale yellow green, almost a pastel. It has some streakiness during application that is characteristic of pastels, but the overall color is richer than you typically think of as pastel.

I happen to love lime green and I think this one is very nice and great for summer. Even Fuzzy, after she called it pond scum, had to admit that she loved it.

The consistency of this and the other two green polishes in this post was very liquid. Liquid enough to flood and pool when I accidentally swiped the cuticle or skin around the nail. I ended up doing three coats of Adventure Island over basecoat duo to even out streakiness. This polish dries naturally to a glossy finish, but I added a coat of Seche Vite on top to ensure all the layers set and dried in a timely fashion.

Photos were taken in incandescent and halogen lighting without flash. Some of them are a little blurry -- my apologies.


Sinful Colors Adventure Island, bottle shot


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island


Sinful Colors Adventure Island

I hadn't really thought out how I was going to show all three polishes, whether I was going to do full manicures with each or whatever, but when I saw all three of these sitting together on the edge of the bathtub I thought, hey maybe I can skittle these. Now technically -- can't believe I'm about to use "technically" and "skittles" in the same sentence -- technically a true skittles manicure has five different colors in it, one for each nail. The manicure I did only has three and they're in the same color family so I think this would qualify better as an "ombre" mani. An ombre manicure typically uses five shades in the same color family for a gradient effect across the nails. Since I had only three, I had to improvise.


left to right: Sinful Colors Adventure Island, Beau Khaki, Leap Flog


left to right: Sinful Colors Adventure Island, Beau Khaki, Leap Flog


left to right: Sinful Colors Adventure Island, Beau Khaki, Leap Flog -- with swatches


Sinful Colors Adventure Island on the nail and in the bottle


Sinful Colors Beau Khaki on the nail and in the bottle


Sinful Color Leap Flog on the nail and in the bottle

Beau Khaki is a medium soft khaki or laurel green with grey undertones, the kind of green you really want to have if you're a green lover like we are. I like Beau Khaki but I LOVE Leap Flog. Leap Flog is a beautiful dark dusty soft pine green. These two with Adventure Island made a natural threesome. It's worth noting that both Beau Khaki and Leap Flog are shown at only one coat over the Adventure Island manicure above, with their natural glossy finish, although I did add topcoat after I took the pictures. I've been wearing this mani for a couple of days now and it's held up beautifully.

ombre manicure with Adventure Island, Beau Khaki and Leap Flog



ombre manicure with Adventure Island, Beau Khaki and Leap Flog


ombre manicure with Adventure Island, Beau Khaki and Leap Flog


ombre manicure with Adventure Island, Beau Khaki and Leap Flog


ombre manicure with Adventure Island, Beau Khaki and Leap Flog


ombre manicure with Adventure Island, Beau Khaki and Leap Flog

What do you think of these green cremes, Eleanor? Which one is your favorite? I'm normally such a glitter fiend but it's been nice to wear this glossy creme manicure. I'm actually kinda loving it!

love,
Aunt Liz







No comments:

Post a Comment