Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Zoya Julianne

Before we get to this post's main feature I wanna chat at you about polish staining. Colored nail polish use over time stains finger nails. Period. Some colors, like blue, are more likely to cause staining than others. Wanna see? Oh sure you do!


the horror!

That there is what my nails looked like after I'd removed Zoya Apple and washed with soap and water. (I was right about the blue in that polish, no? Ha!) Now as staining goes, that's not so bad. Most of the staining is contained to underneath the free edge (used too much remover on the removal pads, my bad) and around the edges of the nails. I also had staining on my skin.

To minimize permanent staining and remove what can be removed at the moment, I give my fingers, nails and hands a good long scrub with coarse salt in olive oil. Rinse with warm water and pat dry. Not only is this beneficial for the skin and nails, it really does help to lessen the staining problem. 

Same nails, five scrubby minutes or so later:


miraculous!

So if you ever get staining from nail polish, don't panic. Break out some olive oil and salt and have at it.

Now back to our regularly schedule program already in progress.

I've got a little Zoya streak going here, don't I? Let's enjoy it while it lasts.

Zoya names almost all of their polishes with feminine first names. They aren't the only polish maker to do this, of course. But I am noticing an interesting phenomenon with my Zoyas. The thing is that once I wear one and get to know it, the qualities of the polish kind of transform in my mind to personality traits that are then associated with the name, bonding the whole identity together in a surprisingly strong way. Kinda cool, I like it. 

Now Zoya could be pulling names out of a hat (or reasonable facsimile) every time a new polish comes off the line for all I know. But their names really work for me.

Zoya Julianne is an inky blackened purple full of sparkly dark shimmer that flashes purple with hints of bronzey gold. It's very dark, not at all a summer polish, but I really enjoyed studying it. The purple shimmer is a beautiful color, regal and mysterious, leaning to the bluer side of the purple spectrum. I was looking through Wikipedia's lists of shades (LOVE those lists!) for purple and violet, came across French Violet and thought aha! 

When it comes to application I'm seem always to be a little intimidated by dark polishes like this. I don't know why that should be. I'm no messier with them than I am with bright colors. But I'm not scared of applying the brights the way I am of the darks. Silliness, is what. 

Julianne is a case in point. The consistency was thin but not runny and I had no trouble at all with the application. I applied two coats (over a basecoat), took some pics, applied another coat and Seche Vite topcoat and took some more pics.

I'd say two medium coats applied with a light careful hand would  be sufficient for opacity for most people. For me, the pressure I put on the brush tends to be a little uneven (especially between right and left handed application) so three coats made me happiest. I think a shiny topcoat definitely brings out the best in this polish.


Zoya Julianne, bottle shot


Zoya Julianne, on my thumb and in the bottle


Zoya Julianne


Zoya Julianne


Zoya Julianne


Zoya Julianne


Zoya Julianne


at the window...


Zoya Julianne


Zoya Julianne


Zoya Julianne


EXTREME CLOSE UP WHOA


Zoya Julianne, macro shot on the nail... cool!


Zoya Julianne


Zoya Julianne


LOVE!


Zoya Julianne


Zoya Julianne


Zoya Julianne

I haven't worn many dark polishes and don't really think of myself as a dark polish person but if I were I could see really loving Julianne. To me, this polish is about the splendor of mystery and the alluring dreamy beauty of darkness. The feel is not weighty or morbid or threatening or overly introverted. It is slightly gothic to me, but I have little experience with that realm. I think the deep charcoal in the base color gives Julianne a refined elegance. Wearing it, my hands felt deft and graceful. I'm happy to find out that I can carry off a dark polish like this, mentally if not appearance-wise. 

Good to know, eh?

Have fun with the Fuzz!

love,
Aunt Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment