Monday, June 17, 2013

Orly It's Not Rocket Science

Hey polish girl! *grin* I have a gorgeous GREEN glass fleck polish that I know you will LOVE to show you in this post. It's by Orly and it's called It's Not Rocket Science.

I talked a little bit about glass fleck polishes in my Blue Sparrow post, where I said that glass fleck polishes contained transparent glitter. Well, I stand corrected. Or at least, a bit more educated. There are polishes out there that do contain actual glass. It's Not Rocket Science is one of them.

This polish is one of a limited edition collection of six polishes released by Orly in the fall of 2010 that they called Cosmic FX. At the time, it was one of the most eagerly awaited LE (Limited Edition) collections of the year, and it went over like gangbusters. All six of the polishes are still considered innovative and very collectible.

Orly had a lot to say about the formulation of these polishes, which they called MineralFX. According to Orly's press release, this process represented an "innovation [that] infuses natural rock minerals, crystals, and glass to give nails a special optical effect with extreme luster, rich pearlescence, and a smooth, sparkling spectrum of concentrated color. The MineralFX technology includes a special mica that allows for a clearer, vibrantly bright lustrous shimmer. Crystals allow for a multi-dimensional color transformation. Glass particles carefully controlled in shape and size create a luminous phenomenon. This combination infused with the Silica and specific colors selected create this exclusive technology that gives nails a unique optical effect that’s magnifies as the lighting source intensifies or viewing angle changes.”

Pretty fancy piece of PR (Public Relations) speak, that! As I understand things, minerals are what pigments are mostly made of, and there are pigments in every colored nail polish. Mica and silica are both minerals. One way glass is made is by melting sand, which is made of silica, with other minerals until they fuse together. 

I guess what I'm saying here is that the materials Orly uses in these polishes are what you'd expect. What I find unusual and interesting is how they are combined and suspended in a formula that is so easily delivered to the surface of a fingernail.

Well blah blah blah. Let's talk about the polish. As I said, it's GREEN. There's all kinds of green, right? In It's Not Rocket Science, you can see all kinds of different greens. 

It's mostly a rich olive with lively brassy overtones. You can also see flashes of yellow green and a more blue or teal green. These also come together in different combinations. There are times when It's Not Rocket Science looks very emeraldy. Other times it has a very grassy or leafy green look. Sometimes it looks all ready for a zombie apocalypse. One nail polish blog said it looked to her like "an olive dipped in acid with stars on top."

By now you're probably all about the photos and I am too so let's take a look...


what I used, left to right: NailTek II treatment basecoat, Orly It's Not Rocket Science, Seche Vite fast dry topcoat


Orly It's Not Rocket Science in the bottle showing its colors


macro shot in the bottle, lots of irregularly shaped particles


Orly It's Not Rocket Science


Orly It's Not Rocket Science


gorgeous green goodness!


Orly It's Not Rocket Science


at the window, lookin' glossy


comparison, on the nail and in the bottle -- in the bottle, the polish definitely shows more of the different colors than it does on the nail especially the bluer colors, as you'd kind of expect this since the bottle is transparent and lets the light hit the polish from many different angles at once...


Orly It's Not Rocket Science


Orly It's Not Rocket Science


Orly It's Not Rocket Science, showing a darker foresty green look


Orly It's Not Rocket Science out the house y'all!


see the flashes of blue-green along the nail tips? cool!



Orly It's Not Rocket Science


Orly It's Not Rocket Science


macro shot on the nail, here you can really see all the greens that make up this amazing-looking polish


LOVE!


Orly It's Not Rocket Science, lookin' leafy
But do you love it? Me too! 

Application was great. Personally, one of the most successful, least messy applications I've had with any polish and I don't say that lightly. I'm really learning to be more confident with shimmery polishes. I did booboo one of my thumbnails, you can see it in the fifth pic, the one with my whole hand in it.



Overall, I am thrilled with this polish. I think it looks like money! (<--ask your dad what that means, he'll tell you) I think I have a couple of others from this collection. I'll have to look through MY NEW NAIL POLISH RACK and find them.

Confession: I broke my no-buy. AGAIN. Llarowe, one of my favorite online nail polish e-tailers (retail without the "r" -- because its the interwebs, baby!), restocked its inventory of Hare Polish.



So I had to get more Hare, they sell out all the time! I'll photograph the box when it comes so you can see what all I got. Heh heh. *rubbing hands together*

I understand Fuzzy will be up there in a couple of weeks to help out while your Mom's travelling. Fun times, bring a date! *lol* Lots of trips to the pool, remember to pick up your trash if she buys you some chips! *wink* Hey maybe you can get her to take you shopping at Sephora!

Take care, little bear!

love,
Aunt Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment