Tuesday, June 11, 2013

CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly over Orly Liquid Vinyl

I've got a very cool black-based indie polish to show you in this post. It's called Shoot the Butterfly by CrowsToes. It's an homage to the Monarch butterfly.


male Monarch butterfly (source)

Shoot the Butterfly is a glitter polish with a black jelly base containing medium sized burnt orange and copper hex glitter, small matte white hex glitter and holographic microglitter. Since it has a translucent base, I decided to use a black creme underneath it. My only black creme is Orly Liquid Vinyl and I'd never used it before so I was a little nervous about application.

But my fears turned out to be unfounded. Liquid Vinyl is a lovely well-pigmented polish with a smooth even consistency that flowed onto the nail in a controlled easy fashion leaving minimal clean up. To say I was thrilled about this is an understatement. I used two coats but could have gotten away with one, that's how nice this polish was to apply. It dried fairly quickly to a glossy finish. I took some photos to document this miracle and grabbed my bottle of Shoot the Butterfly.

While Shoot the Butterfly is not what I would call a "glitter bomb" it has good amount of glitter in it so I went with my favorite "plosh and spread" glitter application method, also known as "dabbing." I picked up a good load of polish on the brush and just laid it down carefully on my nail to deposit the polish. I turned the brush and did the same with the other side. Then I carefully spread the polish and glitters over my nail with the brush. One coat was sufficient for most nails, with only a few needing additional ploshing. 

A nice thick layer of Seche Vite dry fast topcoat went on over Shoot the Butterfly.

I think it turned out pretty fab! (Unfortunately I had not treated my fingers and cuticles with any product since before the mess o' greens day so they are hideous but the polish is so awesome you almost don't even notice.)


What I used, left to right: NailTek II treatment basecoat, Orly Liquid Vinyl, CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly, Seche Vite dry fast topcoat


Orly Liquid Vinyl


at the window...


Orly Liquid Vinyl


glossy goodness!


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly, bottle shot


ditto, showing the glitter combo


macro shot in the bottle


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly on the nail, how cool is this?!


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly


at the window...


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly


extreme close-up whoooaaaa!


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly out the house y'all


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly outside in the shade


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly


CrowsToes Shoot the Butterfly

Wow, what a great looking polish, no? TDF! This is the first black polish I've ever worn and I just love it. So dramatic and unusual and impressive! And a perfectly ingenious send up to the amazing Monarch butterfly. My favorite part is the little white hex glitter, just delicious! This really makes the polish for me.

I showed it to Fuzzy but made the mistake of telling her the name first, which made her go awww, all sad and stuff. Why shoot the butterfly, she asked. Like it was gonna make people go out and squash one or something. No butterflies were harmed in the creation of this polish, I said. Once she got a good look at it she thought it was gorgeous. Sometimes it's best not to read too much into a name.

I think I'm gonna keep this on for a while, it's just that cool.

love, 
Aunt Liz


No comments:

Post a Comment